Residential Childcare Worker
Job Title: Care Worker
Salary: £20,347 to £22,003 (CW1-CW3)
Location: The Shires, Oakham.
About the School
The Shires consists of four sites all within a 15 minute drive of one another. The Shires at Stretton is Special Educational Needs (SEN) School and Residential home within the Acorn Care and Education and NFA Group – the UK’s Largest, Independent Children’s Services group. We cater for young people aged 11-19 who have been diagnosed with Autism and may have accompanying learning disabilities, behavioural problems or medical conditions.
The ethos of The Shires is very much characterised by a ‘can do’ attitude. Staff share the value of creating a home for children that is not institutionalised and reflects a family atmosphere. They cater for the children on an individual basis and ensure they all receive the support they need.
About the role
Do you want a rewarding Career? To make a positive difference to young people and their lives? Are you patient, empathetic, resilient and supportive? Yes? – We want you!
The Shires currently has an exciting and challenging career opportunity for a Care Worker, to join the supportive and friendly team.
We want each young person at The Shires to achieve their own ambitions and to live fulfilling and productive lives. Therefore, you will be required to work from 07.00 until 21.00 on a rolling shift pattern of 2 days on followed by 2 days off. The rota will include weekends and bank holidays. During these hours you will be required to assist with any problems or personal care needs the young people may have. This will include being responsible for safeguarding the young people and ensuring they are all safe, comfortable and healthy.
Other duties include liaising with other staff, working to agreed care plans and keeping the home clean and tidy.
Who are we looking for?
The Shires need responsible, friendly and caring individuals who have a passion for caring for and ultimately, making a difference to young lives. It will be a challenging yet rewarding role with the opportunity to see the young people progress and develop over time. An NVQ 3 in health and social care or relevant experience is essential. We also need someone who can work well within a team, has great communication skills, can manage their workload and be prepared for the varying difficulties the role may present.
- Provide a safe, caring and healthy environment where children can thrive and develop independence
- ensure that the children are involved in as many aspects of their care as possible
- encourage the children to ‘have a voice’ and to make their views and ideas known so that they can be taken on board
- ensure that each child is treated as an individual so that they have a clear sense of their own identity
- promote and celebrate diversity
- provide a wide range of exciting and challenging opportunities that meet the individual needs of the children
- Safeguard all young people in the estate and support them with their individual needs
- Support and develop the mental and physical health and wellbeing of individuals within the service
- Help improve the standard of living and confidence of every child and young adult.
- Integrate into the supportive team
- To record a log, details of incidents etc., as required by procedure
- Liaise with other staff with the best interests of the young people in mind
- Ensure that no unauthorised persons enter the building during the period of duty
- Be prepared in the case of a fire and act appropriately
- You must be available to work the shifts required
- You must have the desire to work with our young people and complete the required training.
- You must have an NVQ3 in Health and Social care or equivilant or have relevant experience.
Why work for us?
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a supportive and dedicated team
- Continuous professional development and training opportunities
- Opportunity for Internal Promotion
- Potential overtime
- Free meals, Parking and Uniform
- 6.6 weeks holiday entitlement
- Life insurance
- Paid travel expenses
- Loyalty bonus
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS. We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for everybody in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates accurate and gaps in employment accounted for.